Re: tire weight air vs nitrogen

To: dlodom@charter.net, karhu@california.com
Subject: Re: tire weight air vs nitrogen
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:16:25 EST
I was very interested  in championship car( Indy type )racing back in the
late 40s and early 50s,  and my understanding was that nitrogen was used in the
tires( and they were  those old large diameter / narrow tread Firestones later
used in LSR )in  place of ordinary air as the advantage was the increased
stabiliuty of the tire  pressure when nitrogen was used ...... as Doug just
mentioned the moisture found  in the air is the culprit that causes pressure
variation, even in those  'old-style' bias tires ........
        I lost all but a passing  interest in that racing venue when the
beautifully crafted and beautiful  looking roadsters of the Fifties gave way to
the rear-engine revolution  from across the pond ...... a better idea but it
was
the start of the super-fast  and super-ugly wings-everywhere things that are
the breed for some years  now.  I do truly believe that the period from about
1950 to the mid or late  Seventies was The Golden Era for most forms of
auto racing in America ...... but that's just MY opinion. I won't even
mention what happened to the NASCAR scene, but I do know MANY of the  other
older
guys feel exactly as I do on that subject ......
      BDF, Recalling the great creations of A.J.  Watson, Quinn Epperly,
Eddie Kuzma, and many other master craftsmen of  those Marvelous Indy Race Cars
of
Yesteryear ......