Radiator in a bath tub

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Radiator in a bath tub
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:32:06 -0700
Hey guys!! Some of you might not like what I'm going to say here--
First a little history:  One of the principal driving forces behind the
formation of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) in the late
1800's was the fact that too many people were being killed in steam boiler
explosions.  They developed what is today called the ASME Pressure Vessel
Code.
So if you're going to fool around with a high pressure steam generator you
better know what you're doing.
As long as we use water tanks with generously sized vents and made out of
light enough materials that any pressure buildup will simply split the seams
we're reasonably safe.  (Though one of my close friends can well comment on
the discomfort of hot water spraying around the cockpit of a roadster at
175+).  But when you start talking about pressure tanks that will work at 100
psi, watch out!!  You'd better do some real engineering on it and be ready to
convince the tech inspectors that you know what you're doing and that it will
indeed work as designed under many different unfavorable racing conditions.
One possible scenario:  Engine overheats with steam leaking into the tank.
Relief valve works for a while then jams.  Tank, half full of steam, builds to
100 psi then bursts a seam.  Driver is killed instantly as the middle of the
car is blown to pieces by the explosion.
Tech guys -- are you listening?  I suspect so.
Ed Weldon