Re: Bumps, Suspension, Etc.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bumps, Suspension, Etc.
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
"With regard to springs; If you see there is too much
vertical chassis travel, increase spring rate.

Do you mean the axel is hitting or bottoming "UP"
against the chassis because of soft springs, causing
the chassis to rise? Therefore, increasing spring rate
stops the travel before it hits the chassis?"

Elon:

No, I meant if you exceed a given amount of downward
chassis travel due to bumps or aero loading, chances
are your springs are too soft. If you have chosen
correct dampening of the springs, there should never
be a violent upward reaction of the chassis. This is a
prime example of why it is good to have dampening
adjustment in both bump and rebound (also high and low
frequency adjustment for those with more time and
money on their hands than they know what to do with).
Just how much chassis travel you have is determined
either by trial and error or through potentiometers on
all four corners.

BTW, from what I have read here, I think Dave D. is
seeing actual spring/damper oscillation in the data
acquisition. Some of what you are trying to tune shows
up as pretty small movements (and high MHz) but have
profound impact on traction. Controlling these spring
movements is important enough not to discount it.

John Goodman