Re: Brake Proportioning Valve

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Proportioning Valve
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:22:48 -0700
After 29 sucsessful years on El Mirage and Bonneville I can truthfully
relate what was told to me many years ago by more than one very fast LSR
competitor. Brakes are for "loading and unloading" safely from your
trailer...
Now with the advent of much better winches this is no longer true. However
that said. One should always "drive" into the chute to keep a car from doing
something you may not like after the run(unloading). Slower cars not using a
chute should slide it out of gear or into nuetral, easiest on the engine.
Automatics, I believe, should install manual transmissions :<) . The idea
behind discs on a land speed car has always confused me. Reason: they drag.
Drums can be adjusted not to drag. I've never use front or disc brakes on
any of my LSR cars and 90% of the racers I know don't use them either.
Whether is a lakester, roadster or coupe. Just my opinion I could be wrong,
but your chasing me so far....Good Luck. J.D.

Subject: Brake Proportioning Valve