Safety on an 'open bike'

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety on an 'open bike'
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 15:28:57 -0400
Gary and List

The chutes for Hydros (by Lifeline in USA) are to drop a body feet first
from say a starting point of about 200 mph into the water at a survivable
speed.  But I would expect there to be injuries to the pilot.

I have to say that to me, starting at 100 mph more, the last thing you may
want to do is hit the ground feet first -  as surely the legs and feet have
the least amount of protection. (Hey - but I am not a biker nor do I intend
to go so fast holding onto the bars and pegs).

Once away from any form of protective cage with harness, is such a high
speed accident likely to be survivable.  What do the helmet makers say
about head protection at this landing speed?  What about the neck area -
would a HANS device be needed too?

I watched Jon Minnono being racer taped around his back and around under
the tank to his 'sit on streamlined but generally open bike at Bonneville.
All because the wind pressure could have ripped him from the saddle in his
crouched position.

300+ mph should surely be left to the enclosed streamlined, recumbemt
rider, two wheelers, IMHO?

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England
Project Administrator  - Gillette Mach 3 Challenger.  Peak of 360 mph,
332.877 mph one way kilo.