Re: Octane

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: Octane
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:57:09 -0700
Scott,

The short answer...YES.

This is probably one of the average driver's most misunderstood facts
about fuel today. (We in the performance arena have a little better
handle on it) Oil companies heavily advertise their premium fuels so
many people think that buying the mid grade or high grade fuel is better
for their car's engine. It is such an issue that a while back, here in
California, the AAA did an article on this telling people that buying a
higher grade fuel than the engine required was a waste of their money.
Basically the additives are the same across the companies grades.

It is true that sometimes an engine will need a higher grade fuel than
is recommended in the owner's manual. Carbon deposits, etc. can change
the engine's needs. Manufacturers tell us that a light ping is not a
problem in their engines. Detonation is another matter. I guess the
trick is to be able to distinguish between the two.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC