Re: Build vs. buy

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, "Waldron, James"
Subject: Re: Build vs. buy
From: Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:00:58 -0800 (PST)
I agree totally with the remarks on the practical side of build vs buy but on
the philosophical side....... Keith wrote  "The Down side of buying is that
it's kinda never "Your" car"....I think of a race car like I do the
earth....you never really own it, sometimes it owns you, you just use it for a
while and try not to destroy it. The important thing is what you do with it. We
recently bought John Goodman's car. I think of the ideas and work that John put
into it as a big step in the right direction but we plan to take it to another
level........ Keith wrote "There is something kinda cool about hot rodding a
car thou.... taking what
you bought and making it better... or at least that's the way its been for
me" ........If we are successful, the work that John did will not diminish our
pride of accomplishment in the least. In fact I hope (and i'm sure he will) he
will join us in the celebration.On the other hand the money we paid for the car
is being rolled over into another project which is good for the sport that we
all love. Easy for me to say...it was Jim's money. As for building your own, if
you feel that strong about having it exactly your way then the question is
answered. Very few of us have the talent, skill and where with all to build
something that is totally your own design. If you are one of that fortunate few
then the answer is a no brainer.

                              Glenn