Re: Weight and Balance stuff again

To: "Glenn Ridlen" <gridlen@yahoo.com>, "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Weight and Balance stuff again
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:26:31 -0400
51% front and 49% rear works great.

JB
----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Ridlen" <gridlen@yahoo.com>
To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>; <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 11:12 AM

> Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net> wrote:
> ... nothing fancy... I just want to make sure I've got a bit
> more on the front tires then the back...
>
> Keith
>
> How did you determine that was the best weight distribution? Does the
Camaro just seem happy there? I wasn't in on the thread earlier....if you
look it up let me know where it is. I am particularly interested in any
comments about moment about the center of gravity. Many years ago I read
that cars that need to turn quickly, like road racers, need a low moment (
weight located close to center) and cars that are trying to go in a straight
line need a high moment to resist rotation about the CG. Like the difference
between trying to spin a bowling ball versus a bar bell of the same weight.
I have been told that if I need to add weight in the back it should be put
in front of the rear axle.....That goes against what I read and what makes
sense to me. I think that is drag raceing technoligy...when the suspension
reacts it has to lift that added weight which forces the rear tires down.
That makes sense for drag raceing where traction and excelleration are high
but in our case wher!
> e the
>  added weight is primarily to add to the traction needed to push the car
thru the air I think we are better served by weight in the tail where it
also resists direction change. Would welcome any comments.

>                                 The ignorant other trucker from east
Texas....Glenn