Re: Weight and Balance stuff again

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weight and Balance stuff again
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:56:42 -0700 (PDT)
Glenn, are you referring solely to center of gravity
(CG) and/or centroid axis (CA)? CA is weight located
close to the centerline of the car (vertical axis or
moment). CA varies quite a bit due to component
packaging (including the driver) so you have different
moment arm lengths in affect for the entire length of
the car. CG is weight located on the horizontal axis.
As you can see, we have many moment arms working
simultaneously.

However you choose to look at it, we should all try
and package weight as low in the race car as possible.
This naturally lowers CG but maybe not CA. The higher
the CG, the higher (and longer) the moment arm. The
longer the moment arm, the more it will encourage a
rollover. Whatever car you are building, get that CG
and CA as low as possible. You don't have to turn
corners to benefit from this.

John