Re: home made wind tunnel

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: home made wind tunnel
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:36:25 -0800 (PST)
I built a small wind tunned as a science project in high school.  I
used a birdcage blower from a central heat and air unit, and used a
stack of paper towel tubes all banded together at the fan end of the
tunnel to create a 12" deep honey comb to be sure that the air was
"unscrambled".  It was good enough to make a scale model of a plane
left off the floor of the tunnel and "fly" while tethered with
triangulated lengths of sewing thread to keep it from banging into the
sides and top. I used a propellor driven bicycle speedometer at the
exit end of the tunnel to calculate speed.  If the wind was moving at
10 MPH, and I was using a 1:25 scale model, then I showed the test
speed to be 250 mph.  My science teacher said there was a flaw in my
methodology for figuring wind speed, but I can't remember what it
was. Heck, it was half a century ago, no wonder I can't remember!!

Dick J