Re: Tear drop

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, "answer landracing"
Subject: Re: Tear drop
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (Pork Pie)
Date: 04 Jan 2003 20:45 GMT
Jack's liner is a good combination of aerodynamic and downforce. When you use a
teardrop you create a good aerodynamic shape but also a lift up body, in other
words, you loose the downforce which you need for to get the power/grip on the
salt.
The #115 was a very advanced concept for his time - but not perfect. Tom
Burkland's #411 follows not really the rules, the reason is the base concept
from Tom - he has to cover the twin engine so close as possible and also to
integrate his airbrake concept, so he didn't use the 6 degrees rule for his
rear end, using the 6 degrees rule would destroy his air brake concept.
Back to Jack's liner - I discussed the base idea from Jack, when I was visiting
Jack at home in CA. I follows the idea of an arrow - the rear end is only so
"fat" that you get the driver and the engine in. My opinion is, when he used a
6 degrees rule rear end, the cars would be another 4-5 mph faster, but his
design helped him to get his parachute better out.
Also Jack got a different concept to the bottom line, due to this that he use
no suspension, he can use a flat bottom to the ground with a very small gap.
Not very comfortable and only you can run only so, when the center of the
turning graphity is extremelly low, so as on Jacks car. The most of the
streamliner using a free space to the ground concept. this racers are affect
from the "air shock wave" which comes back from the ground and you get very
hard turbulences between the wheels.
Again, the 7 degrees rules is for aeroplanes, due to missing air shock wave
from the ground. A vehicle, like a car, on the ground has to use the 6 degrees
rule.

See ya

Pork Pie

Ps. interested book to this issue  Walter Korff's "Designing tomorrow's car's"
from 1980