Re: Brakes

To: Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net>, Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:32:07 -0800 (PST)
Doug
Benny Parson talked about that during qualifying at one of those tracks. he
said that some teams drill a little hole in the caliper (I don't know exactly
where) and insert a small wooden dowel it to hold the pads off the rotors. He
said during the coast down the driver would give the brake pedal a swift kick
which would shear the pins and allow the brakes to stop normally when they get
back to the pits. He supported the story by broadcasting the crew chief telling
the driver to "remember the brakes" about the time he was entering pit road.

           Glenn
 Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net> wrote:Russ, NASCAR racers for years have used
this at Daytona and Talladega (
where you don't use the brakes to run a lap). Next time you watch qualifying at
one of these tracks you might see a paper on the steering wheel that says " NO
BRAKES'. That is why they push the car by hand all the way to the front of the
qualifying line. The driver never touches the brake pedal till after he has
taken the checkered flag. Then the driver just pumps the pedal lightly a couple
times and he has brakes to come into the pits. We used to back the adjustment on
drum brakes off a couple of clicks before we had disc's for the same reason.
Doug Odom in big ditch