steering a motorcycle

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering a motorcycle
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:04:26 -0700
List

As I have been in the timing trailer since 1983 I have seen many many attempts
at motorcycle streamliners trying to get
down course in a straight line and stop it upright at the far end. It's very
hard to remember when one did with out some kind of problem.
I think Sam Wheeler has the best record although he has had a few moments of
seat time under conditions I don't care to experience.

Starting out seems to be difficult at best as they tend to wobble a bunch and
the rider has to react in a nano second to make the bike react as well.
I hear from the starter he's going left,now right, now left and off the
course, back on, looks better, oops, he's sliding on his side and spinning
around.
Now all of this is in the first 1/2 mile. Beyond that if they are still
upright the drifts get longer and more stable. Now come the visability
problems
 and cross winds that have a major effect on the trip down the long black
line.

After the run,out comes the chute and the reverse process starts over, you
know, keeping it straight,while shutting down systems, making sure you don't
turn out to fast or to soon and the turn out area is a little rougher so one
tends to get double vision due to the pressure ridges, wondering when to lower
the stablizer skids and still trying to find the return road and Chris & Ed to
assist getting them out and a drink of water. Ed is looking for any engine
fires and the rider is full of questions.

Yeah, they are a big problem getting through a learning curve and hoping to
get from A to B with no problems. They are difficult to ride in a position
better for star gazing then trying to drive a two wheel high powered hotdog
that has a mind of it's own. Ah, what the hell it's all for fun anyway.

Glen