secondary resistance Q for Tom Bryant, Neil Albaugh, & others

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: secondary resistance Q for Tom Bryant, Neil Albaugh, & others
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:30:15 +0000
Hello Tom, long time, no talk...  -been very busy.  So much so that I can't
hardly keep up with the many interesting subjects on our list.   I've caught
a little of the chatter about secondary resistance -but not enough to fully
understand what you fellas were driving at.  I too experienced something
similar to your experience, when you stated:

"I remember using bailing wire, on our old tractor, to hold the plug wire
terminal  away from the plug, giving the spark a gap to jump. Higher voltage
delivered at the plug would burn through the oil in a bad cylinder. " I once
discovered how it worked on a balky propane forklift truck motor that
wouldn't run hardly at all until I spaced the plug terminal away from the
plug by shoving the boot "out further to hold the terminal away from the
plug terminal.  That has always mystified me.   Could never understand it.
Maybe now's my chance.

    I wonder if you would be so kind as to elaborate a wee bit more about
this "secondary resistance for me.  As I understand it, you're all
speaking about the resistance in plug wire itself because that's wants
referred to as the secondary wiring correct ? Primary being the small wires
to and from the coil ?  I got lost somewhere trying to follow along hit and
miss fashion sorry. ( again due to having little or no time to do so...)
The only exposure I have at present to my e-mail is a few minutes during
"break time at work to look for and read "the good stuff.  So... I'm
writing this at home tonite March 26th, and will carry it into work on a 3
to copy & paste into a message to you tomorrow at lunch time...

To quote Neil Albaugh:  "One of the tasks of the plugwire resistance is to
act as damping on the spark current oscillation. There is inductance and
capacitance in the circuit, so when it's hit with a fast rise or fall- time
pulse, it acts like a resonant tank circuit and the current rings until it
is damped to a steady- state value. The current acts like a wheel that has
hit a bump--without the damping of a shock absorber (damper), the when just
"rings" by bouncing up & down.   RFI is primarily generated by this
oscillation-- acting just like a broadband radio transmitter."

Is this a correct synopsis of the situation ?   What I mean is, Automotive
electrics Hell ANY electrics mystifies me ( and here I am working for a Co.
that specializes in custom electronic products go figure! )  so what Neil
was explaining sounds Greek to me.  I wish I understood it better.

Anyway is this secondary resistance something that's actually NEEDED for an
engine to function or has it been ascertained that engines function BETTER
with this secondary resistance ?

I think that's what's going through  m' head trying to understand...

Many Thanks way in advance for any "light" you can shed on my dim brain
Tom,...

                              Doug Anderson in New Yawk

PS:  Hope you have a F.A.S.T.  Year !

Sure wish I could be there to watch ya do it !