Re: Inspection changed from spec gas

To: ddahlgren@snet.net
Subject: Re: Inspection changed from spec gas
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:03:37 -0600
  what is it you win, if you win by cheating? there is is no money, is it
prestige? I think the self knowledge of your own cheating, in the end,
would distort and corrupt your accomplishment.
What you lose is your honor. I for one would rather not lose that.
Yeah I could cheat, so could somebody else, the idea here is that we are
all honest men and women, so why is this even being brought up?

As I see this point of it, we are racing for our own entertainment. nothing
more. no money, just our own entertainment.
  yeah, there are a few guys whose lively hood or at least advertising copy
relies on winning, but for most of us its just something to do that gives
us the satisfaction of doing a good job.
Even when I fail to set a record, I have accomplished a very great deal.
  I have raced at The Bonneville Salt Flats.
If you think about it, we are the goal of most drivers, we who compete at
the Salt. To drive the fastest.
I'll keep trying to do my best.  honestly

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
     MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001