Re: Test Ride?

To: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: Test Ride?
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:23:56 -0500
Hi Russ,
Can't help from here; snowing right now ;-) but in case he isn't watching the
list,
maybe check with Jim Weir; (cc'd above)
On the basic question, I would guess you may be pleasantly surprised; most of
the
available sportbikes are or can be a good bit more stable than our old K-81
(loved
those tires) shod 70s bikes.
The gsxrs are probably a good bet; lots of available parts and motors (600; not
sure,
but I think the 750s and 1100s interchanged easily enough) plus you may be able
swap swingarms; they varied the length quite often.
Other than altering a frame, you could perhaps play with the triple clamps for
more
trail.  The modern bikes have rakes of usually ~24deg.; steep compared to the
old
days (esp. ducatis ;-) but with steering dampners they seem fine.
Keep us posted,
Rick