Re: 2002 rules

To: Jon Wennerberg <jonw@up.net>
Subject: Re: 2002 rules
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 07:57:04 -0700
Jon, I believe we will have to direct our
biker questions to the biker SCTA officials
as they are not one in the same with the car guys

The bike tire question is very valid, one I brought up
at World Finals before I made any runs, I asked Dale Martin
and Tom Evans, what do you want us to do for tires, and they
said "well................that is a good question......if you run over
200 inspect the tires well, come to impound after every pass over
2, and its ok for now to run ZR rated tires over 2"

I got my ZR's over 225, and they look great, one of the manufacturers
was contacted before Bonneville and one of their engineering reps said
that the best tire they could recommend for land speed racing pursuits was
the stock Hayabusa tire, even better than the 500GP racing slicks they spec,
some may/might be said for the stock ZX12 tire by Dunlop

Plus no one makes a Bonneville motorcycle landspeed racing tire
that I know of, some run a car goodyear front runner on the back of
their bikes, but it was not designed for this

I know bike racers with good year front runners who claim that
hands down some of the ZR rated tires for bikes are the best performing
and safest out there

I have not talked to Dale Martin sinces this latest rule change

I suspect that the ZR rated bike tires are the most advanced
and most capable for speeds over 200 mph right now, how much over
200, I dont know

Joe :)