RE: 2002 rules

To: "'Dan Warner'" <dwarner@electrorent.com>,
Subject: RE: 2002 rules
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:46:53 -0500
Hey, Dan:

Forgive my asking for a specifical answer regarding tires and speed ratings,
but I might as well try to get it in black and white.  By the way, if you
ain't Mr. Answer guy -  To whom shall I address this note?

That said, I'm a bike guy that's run a titch over 200 already  -- on Z rated
tires, which I think means they're rated  "UP TO"  200.  Nobody said
anything about my Z rated tires last fall at the Salt -- even when I went
over the 2 that the "Z" implies -- and so I kept running.  I did notice that
at least one other 200+ bike had the same brand/model tires as I have,  save
that those were labeled "Z" but also had "RACING" stenciled on them, I
assume by the mfr.  That bike did set a record a couple of mph over the 2.

Anyway, I hold fond hopes that this year I'll be well over the 200 number
and the question may well come up again.  Will the stencil "racing" be like
a magic wand that'll let me use "Z" tires over 200mph?  Or do I have to find
tires that will absolutely pass the requirements?

I sure look forward to hearing from you -- only a couple of months left for
me to find that new supplier if you say no. . .

Jon    #436  1350 M/PS/G
  Marquette, Michigan
 (that's way up north)