RE: Women in LSR

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Women in LSR
From: Drylakercr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:37:17 EST
Well, I guess shame on me for being out of touch with the list for a couple
weeks so I didn't hit this topic when it was hot, however I still have some
comments.

What, "powder-puff" classes in SCTA/BNI? You've got to be kidding! I can even
imagine such a backwards move in a sport that never stooped that low before.
I think that Tannis Hammond, Judy Sights, Leslie Danielson, Pam Mengehelli,
myself and many other females are out there running on the dirt and salt and
holding our own just fine. Perhaps, if any of the men out there feel that they
 need a class of their own, they are just feeling a little bit sore because
we females and our teams are doing so well.

Another thing is, that I truly believe that us female drivers and team
members have the respect of most of the association members and fans.
Personally, I get lots of support from my fellow racers both male and female.
I have never had anyone in the association give me any trouble other than
razzing me about when will I ever let my dad drive again. Let's keep things
the way they are with only bringing out more father-daughter teams!

I love the racing I do with my family and friends and I thank them all for
their support. My dad is the greatest in setting me up to run in a sport that
offers me an equal opportunity for success to my male peers, and he even let
me break his record.

So, there's my two cents worth!

Katie Young Cortez #256
XXO/VGC record holder at Muroc and El Mirage (I let my dad take the B-ville
one in 2001)