Re: TC

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com
Subject: Re: TC
From: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:29:59 -0600
Thanks, Tom.
I certainly agree with you critique re "poor communication".  In retrospect,
think I
probably should have re-stated things that I thought were obvious, just so you
guys
would realize that I understood them.

With regard to the roostertail patterns-- I suspected other people just might
not be
looking for them.  I did-- because Skip and Bill Smith had been telling me so
much
about wheelslip as a limiting factor-- before the team went out.

I suspect that near top speed (where the turbulent plumes are strongest) many
machines will not show a definite pattern indicating spinning tires; those
would be
the cars/bikes that are only getting a small amount of wheelspin.  But I saw
clear
indications from some of the really high-horsepower rigs.  I suspect the
percentage
wheelspeed in these may have been much higher than the "15%" that seems to be
the
expected value.  That and/or the drive wheels were loaded with a lot of
downforce,
so that they were really "digging" the salt.

I think you'll see some of these patterns next summer, now that you have an
interest
in looking for them.  Look at the cars with more than 1000hp per axle.

Regards,
Russ Mack