Re: Tire reliabilty, and traction control

To: "Higginbotham Land Speed Racing" <saltrat@pro-blend.com>,
Subject: Re: Tire reliabilty, and traction control
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:03:13 -0800
Skip and list
Regarding tire failures including Earl Woodens. His tires had two grooves
down the center of the tire about 1 inch apart. We spent a lot of time doing
the investigation from the point on the salt where the first indication of
the problem began. There was a strip of rubber about 10 inches long that
came off the tire starting the delamination leading up to the failure.

The groove in the tire may well have been the whole problem as to the
failure. Any cracking at the bottom of the groove can propagate rather fast
once it starts under centrifugal force and loading added along with salt
being forced into the crack. In effect this becomes a hydraulic
problem by the salt being packed under the surface.

Vesco, Teague, Burkland,White and others all run smooth surface tires, no
grooves at all. True, there has been some signs of blistering on all tires
including the Nascar type used by some. I am not a tire expert and have said
so in the past but I have seen many problems at the lakes and on the salt
and the grooved tires and the wider Nascar tires have been problems.

vehicle back from the other end of a run just adds to the wear of the tire.
A lot of the racers are mounting aux. wheel assemblies to the rear of the
race car and pulling the elevated front of the vehicle back to the pits. It
sure does save the wear and tear of the tire, drive train and some one
having to ride the vehicle back.

Take a look around the pits and see some innovative applications they have
come up with. Lots of neat ideas.
Glen