Solid suspension and visibility comments

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solid suspension and visibility comments
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:00:37 -0600
Okay I had the opportunity this weekend to try both of these on the
lakester owned by Randy Dupree.... it's a really cool ride..nothing fancy
really... half of a 460 Ford that starts life as a Marine 4 cylinder....
3.95 stroke with a 4.040 bore... thing made TONS of Torque.... which
applied to a 1700lb car really hauled the mail...

we had some issues with the clutch so I couldn't get the dang thing to
shift ... but did make a few passes with 1 and 3 gears.... top speed was
only 146mph but it's capable of LOTS more...

As for the solid suspension.... Don't bring it to Maxton!!!   wow...
horrible set up... period... the car only has the tires for springs.... NOT
MUCH OF A DEAL....
Oh and your body asorbs the rest... YUCK

Funny thing bout forward visibility.... that seemed to hold true.... this
car is a lay down deal with very limited visibility.... But I could see in
front of me and to the sides a bit.... No problem what so ever... except
possibly the head position in relationship to the roll cage at first.....
with your helmet on the roll cage.. you can't see a thing... move it off of
it and life becomes wonderful....   I've sat in Jack's car and this one was
about the same as far as the laying position is concerned.. and Jack and I
had some comments about how the helmet needed to be suspended... I now
totally understand why it's important...

As for rear engined Lakesters.... well .... they are a Hoot.... fun
stuff... BUT how do I know when to hit the Fire bottles?

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
Racer)