RE: Engine Plates

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine Plates
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:11:28 -0500
My experience has been in road racing so it may not be exactly applicable in
LSR but here's my 2 cents worth regarding the question of solid mounts for
engines & transmissions:

Mounting a front & rear engine plate and trans mount should NEVER be
attempted if bolting it in requires pulling the parts into alignment with
the bolts. Misalignment like this results in block stresses that cause crank
bearing clearance problems. etc. If the mounting holes don't line up, use
shims or reposition the holes.

A chassis should not be so flimsey that it places undue stress on a solidly
mounted engine & trans due to chassis flex. A well- triangulated chassis
should be pretty stiff by itself so only a small amount of stress would
placed on the engine & trans in a good chassis.

Lots of mid- engine F1 cars used the engine and transaxle as stressed
members (there was absolutely NO chassis at all behind the forward engine
bulkhead) but those engines were designed to carry those loads.

If is's done right, I see no problem with rigidly mounting the engine front
& rear or even solidly mounting the trans as well.