Yates heads

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yates heads
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:51:48 -0700
Someone asked me a question about Yates heads off-line and I thought perhaps
someone else on the List might be interested.
>"What are "Yates" heads, I know who makes them of course but what
>makes them special? Do they just bolt on with a Yates manifold and turn  a
Ford
> engine into a powerhouse?"
List;
Remember that there are "Yates Style" heads and then there are heads that
come from Robert Yates shop. Although they appear the same they don't work
the same.
Yates heads are kinda hard to explain. They're a copy of Cleveland heads
with a number of modifications to make them much more efficient. The port
arrangement is designed to eliminate heat and breathe better. There are four
separate exhaust ports as opposed to Siamese ports for the center two
cylinders. They have raised intake ports to flow more air and a better valve
angle for more direct air flow.
A unported Yates head doesn't do much for performance. Most NASCAR engine
builders do CNC port work on these heads and what they do is kept very secret.
They
are usually matched up to a SVO intake which means nothing unless you know
who did the port work Wilson Manifolds out of FL. has the best reputation in
NASCAR for performance intakes.
The latest design out of Yates's shop is to have a very small combustion
chamber in the head (about 30cc"s ) and a larger chamber dished out in the
head of
the piston. This allows the combustion force to be exerted right over the
top of the piston pin with even down force. There is less heat transfered to
the
cylinder walls due to the fact that the piston edge comes up tight against
the head surface.
The new SB2 Chevy head is very close to a copy of the Yates Style head.
BTW, Most all NASCAR Ford blocks are SVO performance or Windsor style.
That's the best I can do, hope it's somewhat clear.
Grib
"Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of your
life"