LSR on a Bike

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: LSR on a Bike
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:51:32 -0500
Jon your absolutely correct.... it takes enormous amounts of effort to
build anything that will run 200mph +  ... be it a bike.... or a car.

I really enjoy our sport and have had the opportunity to both ride and
drive at Maxton...   Jim Cannon has been gracious enough to set me up on a
couple of bikes to make some runs, This meet Jim gave me the keys to
Snaggle Puss ( the name should have been my first clue)  it's a Laydown
Harley.... one Jim has raced for several years and has a best speed of
140mph.... so off I go to make a slow pass and have some fun.... wait a
dang minute.... how do you shift this thing?  Push a button?  hmmm ahhhh
OKAY..... couple of practice runs...( under 35mph of course) on the return
road and I'm ready to go...

Dang Harley's make to much noise.... oh and they have torque...or maybe
it's just where all that torque is applied on a lay down bike ... ( no
further description required) oh and there is that wind thing again..... on
an open faired bike it's rather interesting over 100mph..... I get back to
the pits and Jim is telling me to take the bike to Impound.... he hands me
a timing slip for 143mph.... 3mph faster then he has ever gone before.....
Hmmm this of course didn't' sound JUST right to me... as I found out around
the 7/8ths mile point that I only had about 1/4 throttle in... ( geez this
sure isn't a quick throttle)

Turns out Joe Timney and the timing boys just couldn't stand the
opportunity not to mess with Jim a bit and conjured up this time slip just
so they could watch the reaction in eyes..... Great fun..... I actually ran
in the 105mph range....  and once again increased my appreciation of what
you folks do on a scooter..... wow... can't imagine hanging on to a bike at
200mph on the salt.....  but trust me when I say you folks have respect and
admiration..... ( that or I and now thoroughly convinced your INSANE )

Keith