Re: I knew you'd pick the '41Ford!!

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I knew you'd pick the '41Ford!!
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:45:21 -0700
>--- Jim Rose <jimrose@lightstream.net> wrote:
>> Ok.  Talk to me.  I am easily influenced right
>> now.
>> Why should I go for the '41 Ford/flathead for
>> LSR??
>Jim; I have some thoughts on this. How much do you like your '41? Do you
want to put a role cage and fire system in it? The outside electric
shut-off? It's fairly large, as is your truck, you do have a suitable tow
rig?  There doesn't seem to be a XF/VPro class so the '41 would need to go
140.5+ if you are looking for a record.          What do you like to do? Do
you like building motors? Or would you rather buy a crate motor and do
tin/glass work? Do you do any machining? Welding? I think the late 70s Monza
makes a great Bonneville start. Cheap, pretty small, Came with all kinds of
engines, there is room for everything from "H"to "AA". The other good
starting point would seem to me is the MM/ PP and M/MP. There are lots of
them around cheap. They have a real frame which helps and most have clutch
linkage. Great for the "C" through "I" classes they run.
Thats just my thoughts. What ever is fun for you is the right car to build.
Rich Fox