Re: Decision Dilemma

To: rgribble <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Decision Dilemma
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:00:47 -0400
Grib here is my take on the engines you have to chose from. Fooled with most of
them to one degree or another but your mileage may vary... The first criteria i
will use is how well does it breathe and how high can i rev it safely for
extended periods..

Buick easy to do with the right parts will go 8500 forever even fire(smooth) and
good block with good bore stroke combo.. I would suspect the engine you are
talking about is a 3.8 bore and 3.4 stroke..  I have to dyno one of these in
about 3 weeks for road race work and can let you know how we do. it will be a
vintage piece so it might be close to what you have in mind cost wise.

V-6 Chevy if this is an odd fire i might think twice about it. I also remember
the heads having some problems with leaking but that may be the real early stuff
it has been a long time since i looked at one of those.

V-8 Chevy What is the deck height of the block on this can you put a 5.7 rod in
it and end up with a piston that does not weigh a ton? The other problem you
will have with this are most heads are designed for a big bore and that leaves
you with 2 problems, a very short stroke that requires a long rod or a short
deck to get a reasonable piston in it. And the heads will be way too big for the
engine size if you use winston cup stuff. SBc stuff designed for a 302 size
engine would be a good choice. As an injected 302 the better SBC parts will make
about 700 hp as a road race car. I can hook you up with the people that do heads
for these little engines though they would be new and pricey.

If you only want 900 hp then the choices for me would be easy. Go with the Buick
as it is very strong and has done what you want over and over  with few big
problems. The v-8 would be the most expensive and you will have to rev it some 9
to 10 k to get those little short stroke things going.. so valve gear is an
issue. Unless you can find a set of heads that will fit a bore around 3.8 with a
2.85 stroke and a low deck block you might have a contender at a more sane rpm
level. Also remember that a SB2 head was designed for a single plane 4 brl.
manifold.

Why not a Yates headed ford based on a 302 block?
They are low deck to start so rod ratios get better. Or even a windsor style
head. i have guys making 1700 on a 347 with trick flow Windsor style heads . At
260 it ought to make about 1200 and still be a nice package also smaller and
lighter... I am assuming in all this you are going to run the following parts

Individual runner intake
EFI with boost control call me on this if you want more info
Air to water inter cooler..
 Oh as far as the nitrous is concerned why bother? You will have plenty of giddy
up already, more than the car will stand i would bet.. Most turbo engines done
well are about 5 to 6 hp /inch also. Not counting rotaries they are about 10 to
12 per inch. but when you factor them logically they too come out a 5 to 6.

Dave Dahlgren