Re: New Car Procedures

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: New Car Procedures
From: Tom Neimeyer <tjn56@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:01:23 -0500
Rich,
Drawing on your experience and using your example, I could wait until
Thursday, run the car once, break it and be ready to go home all in one day,
thanks for enlightening me.  Kinda makes sense, I'd only have to wait in
line once and by Thursday, theres no wait.  That's the great thing about
this list, you can learn so much if you just pay attention.

Regardless of how you or I do it, the FACT is the wait was 5-6 hours on
Sunday on the short course.  What started this was a comment by Glen that
the wait in line was "minimal".  Dave responded that from his perspective it
was not "minimal".  Others also responded as did I.

The long lines are a result of the number of entries and the logistics of
running the event.  If I was not in line, they would still be long.  We tow
3 days to get to Bonneville, if we wait until the lines are short we lose
the ability to change and try different things.  After the event we tow 3
days back.  In my way of thinking, it is not reasonable to tow 6 days to
only try and run Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Glen,
  In the old days when there was only one course, 3 runs for a record, I
suspect the waiting time was long.  With the second course, I'm sure the
wait got less.  I also suspect you spend most of the day in the timing shack
and there is constantly something happening and you might not have time to
get to the staging lanes/starting line where people are not as busy and are
waiting in line.  Since I did spend a lot of time in that area and you
stated the wait there was minimal, I just wanted to let you know how long
the wait actually was or is.

If I would have stated "you only timed a few car"s or that "a minimal number
of cars were timed" you would step up and correct me.  You are proud of the
fact you timed over 2000 runs, it represents a lot of good hard work.   The
volunteers, all did a great job as I suspect they always have done.  All I
attempted to do was make Glen and others aware of the time it took to make a
run on the short course.

Tom