Re: Aero Effects

To: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aero Effects
From: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:21:33 -0700
Jim,
Thanks for the info. That substantiates what I have learned, what the books
say, and what Dr. Scott at the University of Arizona told me.
He teaches Aerodynamics at the School of Engineering and we had some lengthy
discussions during the construction of my first car and he even invited me
down there to meet and speak to some of his M.E. students.
He said as long as you enter the air with a smooth rounded shape that does
not increase the Reynolds number too much, getting out of the air is much
more important than getting in it as far as drag is concerned. My
understanding of the Reynolds number is that it is a measurement or number
that equates to the rate of acceleration of the air as it moves around the
nose of the shape displacing it.
Another interesting thing we did was change the shape of the lower tail
panel on the car at the 1989 World of speed. Instead of sweeping up behind
the real wheels to make the car easier to load and unload, we brought it
straight back parallel to the bottom line of the car and picked up a clocked
3 MPH. We changed the tailpiece on the starting line and made a repeat run
within 1 hr. and got the two timing slips. Also we noticed a smaller rooster
tail due to lower turbulence behind the car. In my opinion, if the rooster
tail is taller than the car, you could stand to make some aero changes.
Just my opinion,
Howard