Re: Aero Effects

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Aero Effects
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:17:55 -0600 (MDT)
Bill, If'n you want to go fast the roll cage might save
your life but you ain't goi'n to go very fast. The back
end is verrrrryyy imporntan't to the air. wmts

Quoting ardunbill@webtv.net:

> Hi Folks, the discussion about aero leads me to
wonder if the classic
> lakester with a body made from an aircraft drop tank
isn't the best.  I
> assume many dollars were spent by the plane makers to
find shapes that
> are aerodynamically neutral, no lift forces in any
direction, and
> minimum drag.
>
> Looks like these are still around.  I suppose the
tapered tail could be
> cut off appropriately for chute mounting, with no
aero harm, and a
> push-bar with a roller on it out the back.
>
> I am curious about the 100 inch minimum wheelbase for
an XXF lakester,
> that is a little shorter than stock '32 Ford
roadster.  I imagine the
> shorter the wheelbase, the less stability the car
has, and if it was
> both light and powerful, the wheel-standing effect
would come into play.
> All things to think about, especially at Maxton with
the good traction.

> Jack Costella's car has a long sharp nose like an
arrowhead, and the
> cross section is as small as possible to cover the
driver and engine
> area.  He gets tremendous results so the
car "works".  Perhaps the
> airplane makers preferred the teardrop form for the
drop tanks, because
> it is shorter, and of comparable(?) aero efficiency
>
> I think if I wanted to build a tank lakester, I'd go
for the form with
> the open rollcage and driver's head in the open.
With the engine behind
> the driver there is a tradition of reduced
vehicle "feel" for the driver
> so it would probably help if the driver has maximum
vision.

> Any aero people on this list who can tell us about
the theory and

majordomo@autox.team.net