quick up-date

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: quick up-date
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:03:40 -0500
Had a full weekend.... Got home at 5am saturday morning and Brad and I
started snatching the Rodeck outta the car at 10am.

Checked a couple of bearing's in the bottom end just to make sure all was
well..... seems we had an issue with the Oil in the Dry sump tank being a
bit to thin..... I had cranked the car before I left and had Oil spill out
the breather.... indicating the tank was to full.... Hmmm  .... seems as
though the Oil tank had been topped off with Fuel somewhere along the line
at Maxton....  Bill Bennett normally crews with us and know's the drill so
It surely wasn't him.... but we had a couple of other helpers and it's
possible that one of them might have been "helping us out"......  Sounds bad
eh.... it wasn't thankfully..... the oil in the Pan was thick as was the oil
in the bottom of the tank so it didn't hurt anything!!!  Made for a pretty
good scare thou....

We also cut the flanges off the headers in an attempt to see if they would
go in from the top....( they will but not without scratching the paint which
equates to RUST at Bonneville )  They do in fact go in TONS easier then they
did before top or bottom. ( going in from the top wasn't even a thought
until we did this.)

Also had an opportunity to check the Clutch and Pilot bushing again all was
well...... since we have had issues with both of these it was comforting to
know it was going to be okay....

Now we have the Motor back in the car and Finally are at the point of making
our gear selection...... Seems as thou William Smith was one of the guys who
got it as was John Beckett.... thou John got it exactly right.... We are
going to run the 3.07 with the 28" tires and take the 27" tires in case we
need just a tick more RPM.....   we're shooting for Two Records.... in D
Fuel Altered.... and it's currently at 230mph..... so 235 and 240 are the
target numbers..... both of which are within reach of that gear and tire
combination.....

Keith