Gearbox and Rear Axle Lube

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox and Rear Axle Lube
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:47:41 -0400 (EDT)
In #124 for Maxton I'm using 75W-90 Valvoline in the gearbox and 9" Ford
rear axle.  This seems quite low in viscosity ("thin") when cold so I
can't imagine it can make much viscosity drag.  The gearbox (Super T-10
four speed) shifts fine.  I have to think this is a better way to go
than 90 weight gear oil for a standing mile.  The short and long courses
at Bonneville might be a little more demanding on the lubricant, so Dan
Warner, what lube do you favor there?  Cheers,  Ardun Bill