RE: Axle Grease

To: "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: RE: Axle Grease
From: "Parks, David" <David.Parks@lfr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:41:25 -0700
A friend of mine would drill and tap the bearing cover cup in the center for
a zerk fitting (front wheels only) and then use the fitting to put motor oil
into the bearing cap. Or maybe he just used a plug. At any rate, he would
fill the bearing area up to the opening, which would be about half full. He
told me that it is a common practice on heavy duty equipment to run such
bearings in an oil bath. Even though the oil slings to the ouside of the
bearing housing as you run, you still have enough oil in there to keep the
bearings covered. He assured me that the grease seals will hold the oil in
fine (as long as they aren't screwed up somehow). Seemed like a good idea to
me, although I never applied it.

!!!DISCLAIMER!!!
Remember, I told you that this is third hand (at least) info, so check with
someone you trust before you try it!