Re: New Cars

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Cars
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:54:24 -0500
ardunbill@webtv.net wrote:

> Hi Folks, my XXF/GR isn't new now, but I've been doing a lot of rework
> this winter trying to make improvements.
>
> New rear gear to allow more mph for the rpm was fairly simple with a
> Currie chunk and a rubber gasket that hasn't leaked yet (9" Ford).
>
> Tilton hydraulic clutch that looks promising.  At least the pedal effort
> is now half what it was with my M. Mouse mechanical linkage, with a good
> feel.  This installation takes a great deal of thought and care since
> there are so many variables.  I'm going to have to get my engine to idle
> at 1000 instead of 2000, and a good clutch disengagement, so the
> starting line thing works better.

What built in air leak?? I suspect you have worn shalf
bushing.. the nozzles should not leak that much air. If the
timing is locked at max that will make it idle fast too. You
might want to check the butterflys for being seated with the
engine hot it can make a big difference. But I have yet to
see or want a race engine that idles at 1000 rpm 1500
maybe..

 With the Hilborn the engine wanted to
> idle at 2000 with the butterflies shut, due to the built-in air leak,
> and the only way to slow it down is by over-richening the mixture.  Last
> year sitting at staging area for a minute or two in gear at 2000 wore my
> thrust bearing noticeably, so that's a no-no.

You have a transmission with no neutral ???? If you just
have an in out box and no other gears you are giving up a
lot of track..

 I know there have to be