New Cars

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: New Cars
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:32:24 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, my XXF/GR isn't new now, but I've been doing a lot of rework
this winter trying to make improvements.

New rear gear to allow more mph for the rpm was fairly simple with a
Currie chunk and a rubber gasket that hasn't leaked yet (9" Ford).

Tilton hydraulic clutch that looks promising.  At least the pedal effort
is now half what it was with my M. Mouse mechanical linkage, with a good
feel.  This installation takes a great deal of thought and care since
there are so many variables.  I'm going to have to get my engine to idle
at 1000 instead of 2000, and a good clutch disengagement, so the
starting line thing works better.  With the Hilborn the engine wanted to
idle at 2000 with the butterflies shut, due to the built-in air leak,
and the only way to slow it down is by over-richening the mixture.  Last
year sitting at staging area for a minute or two in gear at 2000 wore my
thrust bearing noticeably, so that's a no-no.  I know there have to be
hold-ups until the Starter gets the course clear.

Still working on my 290 Ardun.  Getting close to completion. Fitting the
full-floating rod bearings was an experience in itself. Hope they're "in
good." Half of this kind of engine is hand-made, so you can't just throw
it together.  See you at Maxton!  Ardun Bill in the Great Dismal Swamp,
Chesapeake, VA