Re: Recap on 'World Records Topic'

To: "Joe Amo" <jkamo@rapidnet.com>, "tim schoeny" <tschoen@fuse.net>,
Subject: Re: Recap on 'World Records Topic'
From: "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:51:55 -0800
AH HA!

So here is one of the reasons we are exploring the "records" subject.

If I have this figured right, Tim figures that if he exceeds a speed
at Maxton set at Bonneville, or the dirt, then his record rules the
class.

Now Tim, If I have screwed this up, straighten me out.

If I have not, then what we have is the various, very salient point
raised by Tom Bryant about apples and oranges.  If you vehicle smashes
a salt record at Maxton, then you best get your butt and the beast to
the salt and prove it. Otherwise, all you have done is exceeded a
speed at a particular track, but you have NOT unseated the current
record holder.

Having said that. If you ran under a standard set of international
rules for a world record, then you can claim that honor -- but still,
you have not unseated the class record holder unless you do the deed
where they did the deed.

The more I think about this, the more I believe that class records at
a particular venue are sacred and sacrosanct to that piece of real
estate.  As such, nothing, no record, no exit speed, no 1/4 speed can
usurp that achievement.

For those who wish to test their mettle/metal against a higher
standard, there is the subject of world records, an achievement
tougher to realize, but that much more satisfying when having done so.

Ask Al Teague, Bill Summers or the Vesco brothers. When they speak of
the moment, there is a reverence in their voice, a humbleness in their
manner and gratitude towards everyone that helped them to get there.

This is the type of record opportunity I believe can be made more
readily available to the "common racer" not just "those with the big
bucks."

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions