21st Century Land Speed Record Recognising Body

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 21st Century Land Speed Record Recognising Body
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 05:04:50 -0500
Sorry if I throw more fuel onto this interesting debate/discussion/argument
- we Brits learnt from Boston how you all 'brew' tea over in the States.
(That was a joke, not an attack...).   IF this subject DIES now the only
winners will be FIA/FIM.  The losers will be the majority of car racers who
do not run streamliners or lakesters.

Unless something positive is done to make a start on creating the
organisation we believe is  appropriate to the 21st Century of Record
Breaking then the last few days of ideas from all involved will have been
wasted.  In addition to the list saving this topic I have kept all 138
mails that were of interest - even your one liners Jack!

Like Louise, if it is the wish of 'the List' to drop this topic - and to my
mind that would be wrong as here is where there is passion for the LSR and
all on this list (including the silent ones) may need to embrace any new
'group' or 'organisation' - I would be happy to remain within a separate
dicussion group.

The only way to make progress with the aspiration of a unified system is to
involve as wide an International spread of individuals as possible. We need
Chris in NZ and any other Australasian racers, we need Ugo in Italy (when
not building fine models, his is a moderating voice), we need both coasts
in the USA and no doubt Mike J and I will bat (a cricketing term slipped in
there, oops) for Britain.

Keith (I think it is was our purple clad buddy) has in the past suggested
the KISS process as the best way forward.  So may I suggest that those
feeling strongly now focus on the following headings to start working
towards what is best for the 21st century.  Try to forget how groups are
doing things now, how it was done in the past  - just think how should it
be done in 2003 or beyond?

* Categories and Classes of vehicles - could be last to do as any new group
would need to embrace all cars/bikes/trikes/trucks etc  around the world -
inclusive not exclusive for entries.

* Distance(s) to be Timed - should these just be flying start?

* Driver Licensing/qualification.

* The Course Conditions - it being level with no gradient say, not wet
salt!

* (What is) The Record Run - number of runs to achieve a record;
consecutive; time between them; both (opposite) directions, improvement
over any existing speed, etc ......

* The Officials to be present - including the surveyor who measures the
course and the equipment that can be used, the timekeepers and the type and
testing of their equipment, the technical officials to check car/bike
safety;  the officials who check elegibility in class, ...

* Governing the attempt - what can be done to the car/bike during the
attempt period.

* Recognition of Record Speeds - who confirms that a record has been set,
who keeps the list?

All that has to be remembered is that the regulations will have to work for
any racer or track across the US, through Europe and Africa, across the
Indian Continent, into Asia and through Australasia.  Working whether it is
a single car attempt or a mass meeting such as occurs today.

There are many areas of current regulations left out, such as driver
clothing, helmets, seat belts, tires etc... These can follow later once
there is agreement on the items listed above.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.