Re: Supercharging little hemis? ? HELP!

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Supercharging little hemis? ? HELP!
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 00:42:59 EST
In a message dated 02/01/2001 7:51:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<< I need to keep economics in mind, so I don't want
 to buy expensive stuff that will only be used on
 the stepping stone.  For the roadster, I will use
 a 241 Dodge hemi.  I talked a lot with Dan
 Hostetter, who really knows lil Dodge hemis, and
 he says that the Dodge will not flow more than
 about 450 CFM cause everything is so small.  I
 want to use a supercharger on the Dodge.  I'm
 thinking about a centrifugal supercharger
 (Paxton) and a good two barrel carb.  With the
 Dodge's stock 7.5 CR, it ought to make a neat
 little motor.
############################
Dick,
    I'm as new as you are regards blowers. Our little Ardun is only 258ci,
running the 4:71 at 16% over on alky. The static compression ratio is 8:1.
Induction is a "2-holer" Hilborn on a homemade intake with nozzles in both
the "hat" and individual ports. The boost gauge shows 21lbs, somewhat higher
than we expected.
    So far we've only made four passes with the engine in the Dragmaster Dart
(weight 1600lbs including driver) at Sacramento Raceway drag strip. On the
last pass the Vertex slipped in the "pinch-ring", backfired the blower, the
burst plate didn't, the Gilmer belt held, and the snout broke off the
dragster, giving Son Brian a 90w gear oil bath. The snout then passed under
the car, dinging the headers, motor plate belly pan, and frame. Despite
scattering parts from 50' short of the lights, the timing slip showed
8.84/160. Brian saw 170 on the tach just before the explosion.
    Your little Dodge has far more potential than you realize. It would love
some serious compression (or blower boost), and a diet of alky, possibly
spiked with a little nitro.
    Dan Hostetter is very knowledgeable regards the Dodge Hemi. The 450cfm
figure, however, might be a little conservative.
    One thing for sure about little Hemi's is that they love nitro and plenty
of compression ratio.
    Regards the Paxton, give plenty of consideration to the manifold
fabrication required. If you're building a custom manifold you might just as
well make it to accept a GMC blower.
    Regards the small 2-bbl carb, I'd cobble up some kind of fuel injector if
it we're mine..................Ardun Doug King

If I use a jimmie, I'll have to
 have a custom intake made, and it will stick way
 up out of the roadster's hood.  The Paxton will
 be a lot cheaper, will huff the Dodge to it's max
 anyway, and will all fit under the hood.

 If I go ahead and get the Paxton now and use it
 on the stepping stone Camaro, do you think that
 the Paxton will raise the SBC current estimated
 output of 400HP to 500HP?  I know that Dart heads
 and some nitrous would easily do that, but I
 would rather spend my money on parts that I'm
 going to keep.

 I'd like to see 200 MPH one time at Bonneville
 before I go to the big track in the sky, and I
 figure the Camaro is the most likely candidate to
 get me there, and a tic over 500 HP should be
 what it takes.
 Will the blower get me there?

 Comments, ANYBODY ? ?