Little Toyota Hemi

To: V4GR@aol.com, landspeedracer@email.msn.com, dwarner@electrorent.com
Subject: Little Toyota Hemi
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:47:55 -0700 (PDT)
A while back I put an item on line here about a
small hemi-looking Toyota motor I had seen at the
swap meet in Dallas.  I had guessed that it was
actually DOHC under hemi-looking valve covers.
Well, it's not DOHC, it's a true push-rod hemi.

Last night I found a book at Barnes and Noble
(new release, I guess - Chrysler Hemis, by: Tex
Smith) which covered more hemi stuff than I'd
ever seen in one place.  Lo and behold, in the
closing chapter, he talks about other hemis, and
there is the little, aluminum, Toyota hemi.
Seems they made it only in Japan for limos, but
some of them found their way here in limos
assigned to diplomatic duties. A few of the
retired diplomatic cars ended up sold on the US
market, and that's where the little hemi came
from.  Two liter - I think!  Good thing I didn't
know all this when I saw that motor at the swap
meet, the guy was asking something like $3 grand
for it - I'd have gone down town and maxed out
plastic at all the ATM machines.  It's furrin,
but it damn sure is a hemi!

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *