Re: Outboards and pressed crankshafts

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Outboards and pressed crankshafts
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:36:39 GMT
what kind no pretty ?

From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
To: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>, V4GR@aol.com
CC: Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net, benettw@earthlink.net,
land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Outboards and pressed crankshafts
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:22:37 -0700 (PDT)

If you start working with those pressed together
flywheel/crankshafts, make sure you talk to some
of the Harley guys that are now on this net.
That type of setup works good for "normal" duty,
but if you're going to press it into the nine
bazillion RPM and mega HP zone, there are some
secrets they have to make sure the two ends of
the crank always revolve at the same speed.  Many
years ago I built a stroker Harley without
benefit of that "trick" and I experienced having
the two ends of the crankshaft revolve at
different speeds - - - no pretty!

Dick J

--- "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
wrote:
 > Rich, I assumed that the Mercruser you looked
 > at had
 > one piece connecting rods so I ordered a
 > catalog from
 > Falicon.
 > ( http://www.faliconcranks.com/pc/rb.htm )
 > They can rebuild/modify press-together cranks
 > including
 > marine cranks.
 > I'm beginning to think this would be an
 > interesting
 > project if I could win the Lottery.
 > After I get the catalog I'll call them for an
 > estimate
 > and post it to the list.
 >
 > Bryan  (650 miles from Bonneville ...sniff)
 >
 > V4GR@aol.com wrote:
 > >
 > > Greg; Do you think the crankpins could be
 > ground, welded, and refinished to
 > > standard size after Nitriding? Am I correct
 > that ball bearings are used for
 > > crank thrust or how is that handled? Thanks
 > for your experience.  Rich Fox

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *