Fw: A/GT Class rule on fuel tank

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: A/GT Class rule on fuel tank
From: "ghalvorson:First ghalvorson:Last" <ghalvorson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:54:41 -0600
  List,
      As I am putting together my A/GT big-block Vette, I am wondering how
 the rule on fuel tanks will affect my eligibility.  According to the 1999
 rule book, for Grand Touring Sport - (/GT),  the rule reads "Stock gas tank
 must be fitted, but need not be used."
      I purchased a Jazz foam filled fuel cell and then built a very solid
 .125 wall aluminum box which fully encloses the cell for protection and
 provides good mounting to the new steel frame brackets.  On the box I
welded
 brackets (extended pieces of aluminum plate) that protect all the fuel line
 fittings on the cell.
      It is a piece of art that I am much more confident in than the
original
 fuel tank.  In terms of safety, it is a far superior product.  But, it is
 mounted in the location of the original tank.  So what happens to my class
 designation since the original fuel tank is no longer "fitted"?  The
purpose
 of this rule defies my sense of logic but I'll save that discussion for
 later.  Any thoughts out there from those of you who are tech inspectors?
 GH