Re: Rules

To: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Subject: Re: Rules
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:46:31 -0700
Doug, I feel your frustration, it is intuitively obvious that you are very
professional with a high degree of "attention to detail" with regards to your
preparation, this in itself means you will be successful at Bonn.  If it makes
you feel less like the lone ranger, I will share a small incident that happened
to me:  the bike rules had a rule that allowed full leathers or "other
approved" material, prior to coming to Bonneville I called Jack Dolan of the
Tech committee to insure that the suit I had would be allowed, he said
"definately", I showed up at Bonn. and the tech inspector I had WOULD NOT
approve my suit or sign off on it, he is a Harley guy me a Jap rider and he
went on about how only leather is safe, even though I had documentation about
how many times more abrasion resistant my suit was, he insulted me repeatedly
and when I informed him that one of his higher ups oked it he said fine find
him and have him sign off I do not believe in that rule, so I had to push my
entry off to the side and spend the morning hunting down Jack to have him sign
off and go back to tech and have the "other tech" inspector finalize my entry.
On one hand I was disgruntled, on the other I suppose I should respect the
inspector for not approving something he did not believe in as he was looking
out for me.  With respect to stuff getting past that shouldnt, you and I are
obligated to bring it to their attention, yeah I know, it may not go over well
on the spot, but they will have to respect us for our concern, and ultimately
prevent the dude you spoke of from having  a misshap and getting burned.  Doug
it takes all kinds and those like YOU who express their opinions may very well
make this sport better, even if it does inadvertently (at times) come across
not as you intended, now when we hear the fireworks at tech, we will know that
you have very very good intentions at heart.  Joe :) :)