Re: Timing Question

To: BICWIG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Timing Question
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:55:51 -0800
Hi Jim

As far as the photocells which are infared units from Banner, the senders or
emiters are powered by a small gel cell battery.
The recievers are also battery powered and connected to a common ground wire
some 5 miles long and a wire to a junction box in the timing stand and then
into a timer circuit in the computer. On the salt we try to be 1000 feet from
each course. At the lakes we are from 600 to 800 depending where the course
edge is from the edge of the lake bed. Some times a 1000 feet is close as one
year Kenny Lyon was smoked out in his two wheel liner and missed the tower by
18 feet. The timing system we use was designed and built by James & Alan Rice(
chronologic). They also built the system for the lakes. As they also run a car
and know the needs of the racer we have a great system.I know this a little
more info then you asked for but what the heck I was on a roll.
Glen