Re: the "Salt circus" and the "Salt Shadow"....

To: wspotter@jps.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the "Salt circus" and the "Salt Shadow"....
From: "joe boogie" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:54:04 PDT
WES;
                I think ya'd hafta call it salt bagging would'nt ya?   Gawd
I hadda lot of fun with those guys. god bless'em.
     Hank actually did pull that motor out from under his workbench in the
barn where it had been for many, many  years.   He ran that motor (it
actually was a 216" '48 chevy punched out to to I believe 248"....)in a
Sprint Car he drove in Illinois in the '55-'58 period before he moved out
west.  I can show you the very same motor in a 1957 issue of Car Craft where
the Sprinter,and his '55 Chevy convertable tow car were featured.  The motor
had a Wayne (Horning) 12 port head and Hilborn injection.  He and Jerry
Weigt refurbished the thing with new pistons I believe and it ran like stink
is right.  The first year there was no body at all in front of the motor.
The very first thing the wind hit was the cylinder head! Da' dam ting went
about 148 like that.....  The next year he came back with a front "body" and
a vengeance and ran sompin like 167 wi' it.  That's flat haulin A--  in my
book.  I'm proud to have know Hank Law'she.  He was a pisser.

Wes, have we met before?  ...on th' salt?   -Doug Anderson -NY