Re: Corvairs

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Corvairs
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:35:26 -0700 (PDT)
I guess that's why I threw this whole Corvair
thing into the pot - just to find out if anybody
else had a good experience with them.  I had a
Corsa when I came back from the 'nam and have
good memories of it.  ('course, anything that
wasn't painted o.d. green or camoflage would have
probably given me good memories.)  When the turbo
stopped working I replaced it (for lack of funds)
with a small 4bbl Holley.  I think the damned
thing was faster with the Holley.  It looked good
too, blue with white stripes and black centered
American mags.  Then, years later, I bought a
pile of parts from a guy I worked with, it
included a Porsche 912 body, a mildly heated over
corvair motor with a Holley 4 bbl, a Volkswagen
tranny and adaptor kit for the Corvair.  I spent
most of the winter getting it together.  The
aluiminum flywheel was about the size of a Kwik
Check bannana cream pie, and weighed about the
same.  Throttle response was quite impressive, to
say the least.  The first time I drove it, it
looked pretty much like a Porsche, but when I
floored it, the front wheels would depart from
ground zero with great zest.  the transmission
was an old-old-old (1949 -50?) European model
without synchro, and low gear was about equal to
a John Deere.  My boys and I tried about fifteen
different setups to create our own system to
clock it from zero to sixty, but could never get
anything to measure it.  My guess is that it was
considerably less than 6.  Only problem was, when
I reached 60 I was rapidly approaching max speed.
 I think the car would reach all of 85 mph - but
around town, nobody knew that - the "black
primered Porsche" quickly became rumored to do
over 200, 0-60 in 3 or less -eat up vettes and
Ferarris, and jump over buildings in a single
bound with more power than a locomotive while
outracing a .357 magnum slug.  My sons and I
smiled and let the rumors fly.  It sure was
impressive for the first hundred feet or so
though!!

=====
Dick J - - ECTA #72
G/FCC  - - XF/GR