Saturday on the salt

To: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Subject: Saturday on the salt
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:32:11 -0600
Mayf, and list...
10:20...just got back from the salt...I drove in this morning on a wet and
potholed trail across the salt from the end of the access road and went
directly to the ERC fuel trailer to talk to Rick Gold.  Who should be there
but Keith Turk.  I accosted him and introduced myself.  We had a good visit
later in his pit.  He made one run and perhaps two just getting the feel if
the salt and conditions.  Seemed very pleased with the car and the way
things felt.  He introduced me to a few other ECTA people and it was fun to
meet them.
The pits are set up in a very long rectangle with the Turbinator and Al
Teague in the far right corner and all the heavy hauler, multiple
turbocharged, big rig gang in the other far corner.  The ECTA pits are about
a third of the way down in the center along with a vague double row of cars
that  fills most of that area.  Nolan White is on the salt with his 400 mph
car and there are several other streamliners in B and lower classes.  Tons
of roadsters, modified roadsters and lakesters.  Tom Bryant and his wife,
brother and son were there too with their coupe.  Didn't make a pass today.
Allen Strasburg made a run in the 444 car, hit the air shifter switch when
he tried to use the clutch and couldn't change gears at around 220.  He
popped both chutes and that ended his day.  I'm not sure if Terry has the
patience for another run...we'll have to see.
Keith Turk said the short course felt fine, other reports were not glowing
for the long course...lots of bare mud showing.  With the berms left by
dragging I think there were some drivers who didn't have a good idea of what
they were trying to accomplish.  We will have to drag a separate course with
a crown before World of Speed I'm afraid. Lots of cars in impound but all
slower classes from what I saw. The Turbinator made a 300.7 mph run at the
end of the day.
With another warm day with light breezes in the forecast the course may be
better as the week goes on. It was kind of a funny day, the racers didn't
pay attention to who was running, lots of visiting and bench racing.  The
lines at the start were never extremely packed like people were waiting  for
more optimal conditions.
Wish you were all hers,
Wes

---------