RE: Driver Restraints

To: "'V4GR@aol.com'" <V4GR@aol.com>, "kturk@ala.net" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: RE: Driver Restraints
From: Dave Mead <meadd@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 07:29:23 +1200
Rich,

This is a real smart topic that all racers need to think about, I believe it is
SO important I'd like to add a general comment ...

Many racers view restraints from the perspective of what their race-cars look
like at the time of building, and this of course is quite the natural thing to
do! What is harder to consider is what that shiny new car might eventually look
like after a major trashing.

Any component made from fibreglass should be considered as gone, any
panel-steel pushed back to the closest rollcage structure.....    visualize (or
put a straight edge ) between any two major points on the cage in the vicinity
of the driver & think about where the body-work might end up after an accident.
At this time you should also think about how the rollcage structure itself is
designed to deform.

        * Can your limbs now escape the confines of the driver compartment?

        * How much contact will your legs/arms/head make with the inside of the
re-arranged panel-work? Restraints are not just to guard against losing limbs
outside the vehicle, bones broken from impact against the inside of the car can
be very nasty too.

        * Has the attachment of the restraints or safety-netting been
compromised? Broken seats or seat-mountings are very dangerous!

I sure don't want to demoralize or scare anyone away...  being smart is the
best way to stay safe, and I'd like to think everyone considers their safety
before they head out the salt next week. You can't do it too often ;-)

Best wishes to everyone at Speedweek this year,

Cheers,  Dave M. (NZ)