Re: Preheating Oil / Water

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Preheating Oil / Water
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:45:29 -0700
Keith,
I'm sure there are as many different ideas as there are people, but I
don't do anything except bring the engine up to temp before the run. In
really cool weather I can see advantages to preheating the coolant as I
have seen some people do. That gets the engine temp normalized before
starting.

My main concern is having oil pressure before firing the engine. We use
a 20w-50 oil to help with the cold lube concerns. If you want to back
off on the valves so there is no open valves while setting for long
periods, could help I guess, but we have never been concerned with that
and we check valve spring values when the heads are apart and have never
seen much variation in readings.

Tom