Re: Powerfest Rockingham...boundary="part0_922931505_boundary"

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Powerfest Rockingham...boundary="part0_922931505_boundary"
From: Dave Dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:04:09 -0500
  Compression ratio is a moving target.. How hard are you going to turn
the engine and what are the breathing capabilities ???  It is more of a
cylinder pressure thing than a compression ratio deal.. If the intake
and / or breathing are restricted then the CR can be set very high.  An
example of this is a Winston Cup restrictor engine.. Current C/R in
those is 17 to 1 at sea level racing conditions... No air no pressure in
the cylinder, hence no problems.. Just don't put a heavy load on it at
low RPM..  At Bonneville I would consider 16 to 1 a good starting point
if you want to get with the program.. At 4200 ft the air pressure is low
and it will run like 14 to 1 at sea level... Unfortunately it will not
make the 14/1 sea level power.... The largest problem you have is dyno
time on the engine with the high compression.. I have considered dyno
engine with 14.5/1 and then swap pistons for 16 to 1 or more to go to
salt and run with that.. Unfortunately also is the Cosworth I run you
can really only get about 14/1 no matter what you do .. Was enough for
the 2 club for John Goodman but not enough for me.. runs G/GL and G/FL
have had both records for a while but going for more this year..
Shooting for 240 as G/FL .. Been over 230 out the back door with
averages in the 218..224 range.. Many transmission woes keep the car
back really needs a good working 6 spd. to keep the RPM in the 10-11 k
range...Hope this helps.

Dave Dahlgren
Engine Management Systems