Re: [Healeys] Overdrive pressure or clutch slip Step 2!

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive pressure or clutch slip Step 2!
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> GFGVQLaWHbvoWWMvMXvqNyIjwAfxgC2mda0IpgP4qbCcRZKqm4Z3hSMW60il5vo5n/TkxWmhFJ/R/JW1hopsAD5aTp/0A8o3G9w=
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:36:03 -0700

--------------cdN73rm5KdPDTd0lILDdiyP6

re: "The solenoid makes a healthy click and visibly lifts the lever, say, ¼â??

Sorry if this has been covered, but how did you adjust the lift on the
operating valve? The typical 'stick a drill bit in the hole on the side
opposite the solenoid' technique is known to be unreliable, the best way
is to measure lift at the operating valve/shaft; 1/32" is the correct
distance IIRC.

Bob

On 4/26/2024 4:15 PM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> Iâ??ve determined this much:-
>
> After, say, 5 miles the car started slipping in/out of OD. It was a
> slower in/out than one would obtain with the dashboard switch. Sort of
> slipping in/out. Not â??dropping outâ?? so far as I can determine.
>
> Per Michaelâ??s advice, I removed the operating valve and charged
> up/down hills and along a Motorway. No slippage. At all. I concluded
> that the clutch on the flywheel was not slipping. (TG, as itâ??s
> practically brand new).
>
> I then replaced the all the valve components under a gauge, jacked the
> car up/wheels off the ground and spun up the engine..into gear and
> switched on the OD. A steady 500psi which remained steady with the
> engine off until I engaged/disengaged the OD a few times. Which, from
> memory, is what one would expect. At this stage I cleaned out the rod.
> No dirt detected in little hole but could easily miss a flake of paint
> or a piece of swarf��
>
> The solenoid makes a healthy click and visibly lifts the lever, say,
> ¼â??. Appears(!) healthy. OD seems to go in and out as it should and not
> slip but wheels are off the ground so not a fair test for slippage.
>
> The whole OD was rebuilt, by OD spares about 15 years ago since when
> itâ??s had a fairly relaxed time and about 15,000 miles. Very seldom
> more than 80mph and usually cruising at 65mph on Motorway. The front,
> pump end, was rebuilt by ODSpares in late 2021. Car has a 28% OD and a
> 3:54 diff so 65mph is fairly relaxed rev wise.
>
> Have not delved into Throttle Switch, Relay or Solenoid yet. Will do
> so, in that order, when weather permits test drives.
>
> Thank you everyone for your help and attention in this matter,
>
> Simon

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    re: "<span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">The
      solenoid makes a healthy click and visibly lifts the lever, say,
      ¼â??<br>
      Sorry if this has been covered, but how did you adjust the lift on
      the operating valve? The typical 'stick a drill bit in the hole on
      the side opposite the solenoid' technique is known to be
      unreliable, the best way is to measure lift at the operating
      valve/shaft; 1/32" is the correct distance IIRC.<br>
      Bob<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:001901da982f$a9dd7a00$fd986e00$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Aptos;}@font-face
        {font-family:Consolas;
        panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Tahoma;
        panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}pre
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        margin:0cm;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Courier New";}span.HTMLPreformattedChar
        {mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
        font-family:Consolas;}span.EmailStyle25
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
        color:windowtext;
        font-weight:normal;
        font-style:normal;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        mso-ligatures:none;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}ol
        {margin-bottom:0cm;}ul
        {margin-bottom:0cm;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Bob,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Thanks
            for this.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Iâ??ve
            determined this much:-<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">After,
            say, 5 miles the car started slipping in/out of OD. It was a
            slower in/out than one would obtain with the dashboard
            switch. Sort of slipping in/out. Not â??dropping outâ?? so far
            as I can determine.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Per
            Michaelâ??s advice, I removed the operating valve and charged
            up/down hills and along a Motorway. No slippage. At all. I
            concluded that the clutch on the flywheel was not slipping.
            (TG, as itâ??s practically brand new).<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">I
            then replaced the all the valve components under a gauge,
            jacked the car up/wheels off the ground and spun up the
            engine..into gear and switched on the OD. A steady 500psi
            which remained steady with the engine off until I
            engaged/disengaged the OD a few times. Which, from memory,
            is what one would expect. At this stage I cleaned out the
            rod. No dirt detected in little hole but could easily miss a
            flake of paint or a piece of swarf��<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">The
            solenoid makes a healthy click and visibly lifts the lever,
            say, ¼â??. Appears(!) healthy. OD seems to go in and out as it
            should and not slip but wheels are off the ground so not a
            fair test for slippage. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">The
            whole OD was rebuilt, by OD spares about 15 years ago since
            when itâ??s had a fairly relaxed time and about 15,000 miles.
            Very seldom more than 80mph and usually cruising at 65mph on
            Motorway. The front, pump end, was rebuilt by ODSpares in
            late 2021. Car has a 28% OD and a 3:54 diff so 65mph is
            fairly relaxed rev wise.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Have
            not delved into Throttle Switch, Relay or Solenoid yet. Will
            do so, in that order, when weather permits test
drives.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Thank
            you everyone for your help and attention in this
matter,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif"
                  lang="EN-US">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif"
                lang="EN-US"> Healeys &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                <b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:gradea1@charter.net";
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">gradea1@charter.net</a>;
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Overdrive pressure or
                clutch slip Step 2!<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          plot (not unusual): Have we determined, for sure, that the
          problem is 'slippage,' which would most likely be due to wear
          in the O/D cone clutch? Or have we determined that Simon's O/D
          is 'dropping out' which, to my thinking, would be caused by
          the 8 strong springs overcoming hydraulic pressure (and
          causing the brake ring to slip or disengage, no?). <o:p></o:p></p>
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
              hydraulic system is in good condition and that will
              effectively produce overdrive when the cone clutch is
              pushed forward in the box. When OD is <strong><span
                  style="font-family:&quot;Aptos&quot;,sans-serif">not
                  required</span></strong> the solenoid is inactive and
              the 8 springs in the unit have to keep the cone clutch in
              the rearward or in direct drive position.<o:p></o:p></p>
              are strong enough to engage and hold the clutch without
              slipping, overcoming the hydraulic influence-which should
              be draining at this point..However if the springs are
              misinstalled in the wrong position or not properly mounted
              on their tabs upon assembly or previously "coil bound"
              from that procedure or wear, they will not function to
              keep direct drive solid without slipping.<o:p></o:p></p>
              material should outlive all of us and is not normally, or
              easily, replaced. All you have to keep the car in direct
              drive are those 8 springs and their pressure.<br>
              -Hate to say it but if the re-assembly was defective, the
              gearbox needs to come out and OD removed and checked for
              correct spring fit-at that time I would replace the 8
              springs (about $100 from Moss) as a routine repair.
              (photos from my article in AH Mag) Hank<br>
              From: "Bob Spidell" <a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt;</a>
              I went through my BJ8's O/D a few years ago. The car had
              64K miles on it when I bought it (approx. 1984), and about
              215K* miles on it when I did the overhaul. The O/D cone
              clutch was serviceable--and AFAIK didn't slip--and I
              reinstalled it. If new cone clutches were readily
              available I <em><span

style="font-family:&quot;Aptos&quot;,sans-serif">might</span></em>
              have bought new, on principle, depending on cost, but all
              I could find was a re-manned one from DWM. To me this
              implied they didn't often need replacement, whereas known
              wear items like the accumulator are offered by several
              vendors (I would have installed one with an O-ring if I'd
              known about it).<br>
              All this to say, unless the car has extremely high mileage
              and/or the O/D has been abused somehow I'd be surprised if
              the clutch is worn 'to the bone.' Obviously, slippage in
              the cone clutch would cause Simon's car's symptoms; if so,
              the problem will get progressively worse (and more
              consistent). I think one way to test an O/D clutch would
              be to really lug the car pulling an uphill grade in
              4th-O/D, if the clutch is going to slip it would do it
              then (as would a worn engine clutch). There's also a
              (remote) possibility that, for some reason, O/D pressure
              fluctuates during driving.<br>
              * Anyone else have this many or more known miles on a
              Healey?<br>
              bs<br>
              <o:p></o:p></p>
              wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">"What
                    I canâ??t do is understand the leap to the OD cone
                    clutch?"</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> Fair
                    question.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Between
                    the flywheel and the rear wheels there are only 2
                    places where "slippage" can occur these are the
                    clutch and the overdrive's cone
clutch. </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">The
                    gearbox, other than the cone clutch in the
                    overdrive, is a go/no go arrangement, i.e. no
                    "slippage".</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">The
                    rear wheel splines, believe it or not, can also
                    produce "slippage " if they are in really bad
                    condition but I presume that isn't the case
here.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">The
                    test that you just completed resulted in no
                    driveline slippage when the overdrive was
disabled. </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">You
                    are reporting slippage when the overdrive operating
                    system is enabled so it follows that further
                    diagnosis of that is required.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
                    your next step would be the same test drive, i.e.
                    full engine torque on an uphill grade, to confirm
                    that the slippage issue has returned now that the
                    overdriveoperating valvehasbe
re-installed.  </span><o:p></o:p></p>
                    would do this test drive BEFORE making any
                    adjustments to the overdrive valve or solenoid in
                    order to confirm that meerly installing the
                    overdrive operating valve resulted in the slippage
                    issue returning. </span><o:p></o:p></p>
                    the weather improves, beautiful day
here.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:9.5pt">M</span><o:p></o:p></p>
                  Simon Lachlan, &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Hi, Thanks for
                        this.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Not sure I
                        understand fully. </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Once Iâ??d finished
                        the test drive with the OD operating valve out
                        of the car, I returned the rod, ball, spring etc
                        and put in the gauge rather than the nut. And
                        got 500+ psi. </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">What I canâ??t do is
                        understand the leap to the OD cone clutch. Not
                        arguingâ?¦just saying no comprende. As I sat in
                        the car, I was thinking that the function of the
                        OD seems OK and that itâ??s being interfered with
                        by something in its circuitry��relay, solenoid
                        or throttle switch. Thatâ??s probably wishful
                        thinking as I really donâ??t want to be swimming
                        in those waters.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">I did, as a matter
                        of course, clean out the tiny hole in the rod
                        but didnâ??t detect any blockageâ?¦.which doesnâ??t
                        mean much as something minute could have been
                        inside and been washed away by the detergent/hot
                        water then WD40â?¦..</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">After someoneâ??s
                        advice â?? some time back â?? Iâ??ve got another rod
                        whose aperture has been drilled out to 1.5mm.
                        This was â??to allow the OD to disengage fasterâ??.
                        Donâ??t recall if I tried it. Could that rod be
                        any help here?</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">The ball seems to
                        be sitting square on its seat and the tip of the
                        rod, where the ball sits, is not worn or
                        chipped.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Residual
                        pressureâ?¦.. goes to 500+ when I switch OD ON and
                        stays there until, engine and switch OFF, I
                        energize the solenoid a few times whereupon it
                        drops to zero.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Another test
                        drive(s) seems called for. But the hood is off
                        to enable access and the forecast is grim for
                        the next week.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Very open to more
                        suggestions. Thanks,</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif">Simon</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><strong><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">From:</span></strong><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">
                          Michael Salter &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";
                            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Sent:</span></strong>
                          Friday, April 26, 2024 12:14 AM<br>
                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">To:</span></strong>
                          Simon Lachlan &lt;<a
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"; target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;<br>
                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Cc:</span></strong>
                          Healeys &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Subject:</span></strong>
                          Re: Overdrive pressure or clutch slip Step
2!</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Okay, then it
                        is confirmed that neither the clutch (on the
                        flywheel) nor the overdrive cone clutch (in it's
                        normal drive condition) are producing the
                        slippage. <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">From this we
                          can conclude that even when the overdrive
                          solenoid is <strong><u><span
                          energized the slippage is occurring at the
                          overdrive cone clutch and that for some reason
                          hydraulic pressure is finding its way into the
                          overdrive operating cylinders even when the
                          overdrive operating valve is closed.<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">This can be
                          caused by leakage past operating the valve or
                          residual pressure.<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">The question
                          of residual pressure can be resolved by
                          checking that the bleed hole in the bottom of
                          the long overdrive valve push rod is not
                          blocked.<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Whether or
                          not hydraulic pressure is leaking past the
                          operating valve ball can be checked by
                          ensuring that the ball is clearly on its seat
                          when the operating valve is <strong><u><span
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">M<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">On Thu., Apr.
                          25, 2024, 3:38 p.m. Simon Lachlan, &lt;<a
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"; target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Of course. Isnâ??t
                                that how I got the 520psi?</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><strong><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">From:</span></strong><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">
                                  Michael Salter &lt;<a
href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com"; target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                                  <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Sent:</span></strong>
                                  Thursday, April 25, 2024 6:19 PM<br>
                                  <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">To:</span></strong>
                                  Simon Lachlan &lt;<a
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"; target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;<br>
                                  <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Cc:</span></strong>
                                  Healeys &lt;<a
                                    href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                                    target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                                  <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Subject:</span></strong>
                                  Re: Overdrive pressure or clutch slip
                                  Step 2!</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Question  ...
                                when you got home and did the pressure
                                test I presume that was AFTER you had
                                put the valve with the "top hat", ball,
                                spring and valve rod cap and washer back
                                into position?<o:p></o:p></p>
[...]

style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">So, here is
                                        Michaelâ??s â??Step 1â?? completed.
                                        (See his email,
below).</span><o:p></o:p></p>
                                    <ol type="1" start="1">
                                      <li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l1 level1
lfo3"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Removed the
                                          operating valve and, just for
                                          luck, disconnected the two
                                          wires into
                                          switch. Took the car for a
                                          spin. Up/down longish/steepish
                                          hills, 10 miles on motorway.
                                          Various rpmâ?¦..no slippage at
                                          all.</span><o:p></o:p></li>
                                      <li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l1 level1
lfo3"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Had a
                                          punctureâ?¦..nail in tyre. Rear
                                          RHS. Flat as a pancake at
                                          once. Nearly onto rim. Nail! I
                                          imagine the inner tube is
                                          shredded and the tyre may be a
                                          write-off. (Usually are!).
                                          Anyhow, I bore you with this
                                          as Iâ??m convinced that Iâ??d
                                          never have got the wheel off
                                          without the little scissors
                                          jack which I carry to get the
                                          car up the first few inches
                                          until the Healey jack comes
                                          into play. Just a

suggestion��.</span><o:p></o:p></li>
                                      <li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l1 level1
lfo3"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Got home and
                                          jacked car up to test
                                          pressure. Steady at 520psi
                                          which, I recall, is plenty.
                                          Stayed at 520 across rev
                                          range. Dropped very slowly
                                          once engine was off and
                                          dropped to zero as I
                                          engaged/disengaged OD a few
                                          times. Which is normal I
                                          think?</span><o:p></o:p></li>
                                      <li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l1 level1
lfo3"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Solenoid makes a
                                          robust â??clickâ?? when it should
                                          and engages the OD when
                                          activated.</span><o:p></o:p></li>
                                    </ol>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">So whatâ??s a
                                        sensible â??Step
2â????</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">I have been urged
                                        to check the setting of the
                                        Throttle Switch (TS). Assuming
                                        that the slippage returns (and
                                        why wouldnâ??t it?), Iâ??ll short
                                        the TS out to see if that fixes
                                        it. If it does, Iâ??ll check the
                                        adjustment.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Suggestions would
                                        be more than welcome��I do dread
                                        having to take that box out
                                        again. Iâ??ve got a very adequate
                                        ramp and a very strong
                                        volunteer(?) but, regardless of
                                        all that, itâ??s still quite a
                                        task. And, like a few of us, Iâ??m
                                        not as young as I once was. Iâ??ve
                                        always enjoyed the lines from
                                        the manual which I reproduce,
                                        below. </span><span
style="font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,sans-serif">���</span><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Gently easeâ??!?!
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Thanks,
Simon</span><o:p></o:p></p>
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt; <br>
                                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Sent:</span></strong>
                                          Monday, April 22, 2024 3:21 PM<br>
                                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">To:</span></strong>
                                          Simon Lachlan &lt;<a
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"; target="_blank"
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;<br>
                                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Cc:</span></strong>
                                          Healeys &lt;<a
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                                            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                                          <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">Subject:</span></strong>
                                          Re: [Healeys] Overdrive
                                          pressure or clutch
slip</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><strong><u><span
style="font-family:&quot;Aptos&quot;,sans-serif">Correct diagnosis is
                                                1/2 the
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">First you
                                        need to confirm whether the
                                        clutch (on the flywheel) or the
                                        overdrive is causing the
                                        slippage. <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">To do this
                                          you ABSOLUTELY MUST disable
                                          the overdrive as a badly
                                          misadjuster overdrive
                                          operating valve can produce
                                          similar symptoms. <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">To do this I
                                          would remove the overdrive
                                          operating valve completely.
                                          (There are other ways but this
                                          is absolutely
definitive).<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Now drive the
                                          car up a long hill where you
                                          are amle to use full throttle
                                          at around 3000 RPM (maximum
                                          torque) for a few seconds. If
                                          it is the clutch (on the
                                          flywheel) that is causing the
                                          slippage these operating
                                          conditions. Test this a few
                                          times to be sure.<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">If there is
                                          no slippage we have confirmed
                                          that the overdrive clutch is
                                          at fault.<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">Step 1
                                          completed. Please report
                                          results. MS.<o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"> <o:p></o:p></p>
style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto">On Mon., Apr.
                                              22, 2024, 8:08 a.m. Simon
                                              Lachlan via Healeys, &lt;<a
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
                                                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0cm 0cm 0cm
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0cm;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">You may recall the
                                                  very extended
                                                  overdrive and clutch
                                                  saga last year.</span>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Long story

short(ish)â?¦</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">OD was slipping in
                                                  and out depending on
                                                  oil
temperature.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Correctly
                                                  diagnosed pressure.
                                                  Checked with
gauge.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Attempted
                                                  rebuildâ?¦going only so
                                                  far as</span> <span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">accumulator and
                                                  related
seals.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Stymied as could
                                                  not get pump out.
                                                  Turned out to have
                                                  been â??fixedâ?? at some
                                                  stage with some form
                                                  of â??chemical metalâ??
                                                  which was coming

loose/apart.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Took it up to OD
                                                  Spares who fixed
                                                  it..new housing
etcetc</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Why not a new
                                                  clutch I thought?
                                                  Sensible while youâ??re
                                                  in the area looking at
                                                  a 30+ yr old
item.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">New clutchâ?¦no
                                                  good. Noisy, wouldnâ??t</span>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">engage/disengage/play
                                                  at all.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Gearbox out
again.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Refit clutch.
                                                  Presumed Iâ??d made some
                                                  beginnerâ??s
mistake.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Refit gearboxâ?¦no
                                                  good.
Same</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Canâ??t recall
                                                  whether I tried again.
                                                  Lost count and
                                                  enthusiasm by
now.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Turned out that
                                                  the new clutch kit was
                                                  defective. (Thanks
                                                  Mirek) (Genuine
                                                  B&amp;B from

AHSpares).</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">New one did
work.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Saga over until

yesterday.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Same sort of

symptomsâ?¦..</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Allâ??s well for
                                                  first 10 or so miles.
                                                  Then the dreaded
                                                  slippage(?) starts.
                                                  But itâ??s not quite the
                                                  same. Reminds me more
                                                  of a slipping clutch.
                                                  (But NO
smell)</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Symptoms continue
                                                  if itâ??s in or out of
                                                  OD.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Symptoms reduce at
                                                  speed.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Yes, plenty of
                                                  oil. Over the full
                                                  mark. Looks very
                                                  clean. Pretty sure
                                                  itâ??s 40wt</span> <span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">non-detergent
                                                  topped up with 30wt
                                                  non-detergent. (Or
                                                  vice-versa).</span> <span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">Am confident in
                                                  state of the filter,
                                                  magnets
etc.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">No, I have not
                                                  pressure tested it yet
                                                  and yes, I dread
                                                  restarting the whole
                                                  bloody process all
                                                  over again. Iâ??m not
                                                  sure I can face taking
                                                  the box out again
                                                  once, let alone
                                                  multiple
times.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">What I want and
                                                  experience tells me
                                                  Iâ??m unlikely to get is
                                                  a miracle
cure!</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">One initial
                                                  questionâ?¦..do OD
                                                  relays either work or
                                                  not work? ie, can the
                                                  relay hover between on
                                                  and off</span> <span
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">which might lead
                                                  to the OD coming in
                                                  and out? I think that
                                                  could happen if the
                                                  switch is off but the
                                                  unit still hasnâ??t got
                                                  the message to
                                                  disengage from the
                                                  bulkhead
switch.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">And a
                                                  supplementaryâ?¦.how</span>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">do I bench test</span>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif">the
relay?</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:&quot;Times New
Roman&quot;,serif">Simon</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<pre>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre>Support Team.Net <a
            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre>Suggested annual donation  $12.75<o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre><o:p> </o:p></pre>
            <pre>Archive: <a
            href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a
            href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre><o:p> </o:p></pre>
            <pre><a href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre><a
            href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre><o:p> </o:p></pre>
            <pre>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
            <pre><o:p> </o:p></pre>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"